For my thesis, I’d like to investigate how design can augment family life. I’ve begun my search my asking myself these questions:
- What are the elements to building and maintaining a strong, thriving family?
- Can it be improved? Can design make it stronger? Can tools, services, and experiences intervene to augment this part of life?
- Why is family so important? How is it different from friends and community?
- How does family life shape us and to what degree of influence?
- What are the benefits of having a strong family? What are the disadvantages of being part of a dysfunctional one? When and how do these consequences surface later in our life?
- What are the roadblocks to achieving family harmony? Is there a recipe to increase family prosperity?
- How does the family structure affect childhood development? How much of it is nature vs. nurture? Are there ways to optimize this development?
- What does the family of the future look like? Where did it come from? Where is it going?